What happens when we disagree and want to critique? Do we do it? The truth we all know is the most people don’t take criticism well- they get defensive. So I ask… why do we do it? If someone will get defensive, they won’t hear what we have to say. So, how can we deliver disagreement in a way that it will be heard? Here’s the five step method of delivering that bad news…
- Is it worth it? People march to different drummers- accept this. Do you really need to critique?
- Sandwich the critique: a dose of positive, the critique, then another dose of positive
- Watch your timing: is the other person in the best position they can be to hear you and truly listen?
- Be humble in your approach: no one knows it all- don’t act like you do when you critique
- Gratitude goes a long way: always thank who are talking with